Saturday, September 16, 2006

Ha Ha!

Oh Vancouver you strange and lovely beast. First you mock me with your lack of friendly faces and now you poureth them upon me. My new favourite word it 'shanghaied' as in people taking you somewhere you didn't expect to go and, unlike being kidnapped, is a pleasant experience.

I know I sound happy and like I love this place, but I promise to never become one of those people that love Vancouver at all cost.... Especially at the cost of appearing deranged ( you know who you are and stop wearing so much god damn lycra and fleece!). So here I am right now and it's fun, but if it ever gets too much, too mean, I'll be o.k with leaving. So don't get comfortable Vancouver...Lark may be here now...but remember it's a lark and we can have one anywhere. Empty threats my friends, right now Vancouver is the closest thing to shangri-la. It's a layered place, just when you think you've figured it out a fancy restaurant opens off Blood Alley...which if you have never been here is appropriately named.

So I beckon you to join us here in our little provincial town as we shape it into a city much to the chagrin of city hall. If you have a good idea and limitless patience we need you. This town is bursting at the seams of convention and we need more pressure to blow the lid off and turn it into a truly dynamic city.

I am so tired and delirious right now! Someone out there respond and tell me something new!

2 comments:

Claudia Davila (Fran) said...

Veronika!!

Okay, I'll tell you something new...

I've been reading this book called The Road Back to Nature by Masanobu Fukuoka, which has a very down-to-earth perspective on nature, humanity and God. (Fukuoka sites Jesus and Buddha so I think for him God means Mother Nature in the cosmic sense.)

We as a species have gotten slowly and chronically out of touch with God (nature, universal energy, etc) which has led to deciding to enforce agriculture on the land and raise livestock for meat-eating cultures, both of these leading to the degradation of the environment and causing Africa and California to turn to deserts. The answer is to globally convert to "natural farming" which is like permaculture but leaving 99% of it up to nature -- you make mud balls filled with dozens of different seeds, scatter them around a field and let the seeds decide which will grow and when. And then our diets conform to what nature provides, rather than monocrop the heck out off the tired land.

I'm lovin' it! Watch me turn into a natural farmer yet.

veronika said...

Wow, you are going to do something amazing within the food industry one day and the planet will be better for it.