Sunday, June 18, 2006

Don't even get me started.......

I have had something on my mind for a while now and it's time that I get it out. Some of you may not like what I have to say....but it needs saying.

What is up with people bringing their misbehaved children to fancy restaurants and cafes? Seriously Vancouver!!!!! Yes you Vancouver!!!!!

Every Sunday for just over a year Dane and I have been having brunch every Sunday at Aurora Bistro, today was the last day that they will be serving brunch ever, so we made sure to wake up with enough time to enjoy our breakfast and still get the shop opened. What horrified me the most was that even though it was like eating in a fucking day care, I was so used to it that it didn't even occur to me to be mad about the noise and chaos until now. Aurora Bistro is fancy...it's not the white spot or some other FAMILY restaurant...it's where grown ups go to relax and unwind....grown ups without children that wish to enjoy one another and grown ups with children who want to get away from them for a couple of hours. I absolutely fear having children because should I shell out for a baby sitter so that I may escape them and enjoy a quiet meal I'll only be confronted with some unruly brat at the next table. Do I have to go to Toronto or Montreal to eat in peace or wait until past the average bedtime of a toddler?

Let me just clarify one thing before anyone who might be reading this gets their nickers in a knot, not all children are poorly behaved, in fact many are delightful. The fault is with those parents who seem to forget to discipline their children, and also those parents who do not see their precious children's limitations. Some kids can eat at Aurora and behave, and others just can't.

I'm SO tired of parents who let their kids run wild and behave like monsters, it's not the fault of the children, they're doing what they do...it's the god damn inconsiderate parents who seem to think that the sun rises and sets for their precious genetic creation. Parents who get mad at sweet natured dogs and cats who nip at children who pull their tales....It's and animal! Teach your child how to treat them or the animal will! And while you're at it teach your children that yelling and screaming in a 1200 square foot restaurant is inappropriate! Also, don't be giving them donuts and then setting them loose on my nerves!

I used to like going to a cafe a bit further down Main St so that I could escape the shop and some of soma's way too regular regulars; but I had to stop going there when the last time I went a man was reading his paper while his toddler daughter was climbing up on the tables.......with her shoes! Dude, your kid is bored, doesn't want to watch you read, and she's eating a cookie so she's getting high on sugar...... sugar is speed for children!

For those that have well mannered children that they clearly nurture and discipline, well, I say thank you and bring 'em along! Also please advise on what to do about parents who are oblivious to their children's needs.

Thanks...........it feels good to get that off my chest..........oh and I love Aurora and don't blame them for not doing brunch........can't wait to have dinner there sometime very soon.

3 comments:

Claudia Davila (Fran) said...

I so know what you mean!!!!!

Gayley's was one of the best little places to go for brunch here in mid-west-end Toronto and the last time Michael and I went it was a DAY CARE!!! We almost left instead of waiting for our food to arrive -- the place is about 300 square feet, with like 10 tiny little tables, and half of them were occupied by little princes and princesses (some even dressed up as such) with a cry to pierce the air every so often. It was a pissy experience and may resort to just take-out from that great, delicious establishment. Damn those spineless PC parents!

: ) ~love, Fran

veronika said...

Dane and I did leave a restaurant last night because of an annoying table with child!

Seriously, I though that it was just Vancouver where the children got to literally dress up like princess' in public.

To those spineless PC parents I shake my fist!

miss tango said...

OMG!
I was just talking about this with another store owner yesterday!

Parents need to start teaching their children how to behave in public! They need to put the fear of God into them ;)
Bloody Hell if we behaved badly in public, we were hauled off home. And that never happened, because we were too afraid to behave badly in public.

Don't you just love those PC parents "Now little Johnny, I thought we had made an agreement that you would..." The kid is like two, he doesn't know what a fucking agreement is!