Monday, July 30, 2007

NYC





New York City Whoohoo!!


Natsumi and I were bumped up to executive class for the worst leg of the flight which is from Here to Toronto.











Flying into New York is really amazing. These are photos that Natsumi took. I love that the building look like they are growing out of the earth like giant crystals in everywhich direction.




















































Elaine had stayed at a boutique hotel once that was clean, affordable and cute. Natsumi and I love it. The front desk has this guy working there that is so odd he seems fictional. He talks super slow with a slured lilt, it's very hard to describe. He seems as though he can only exists in the hotel and if he were to leave he'd just turn into a poof of smoke.























Art art...everywhere you look there is something someone has made that is beautiful.









Beautiful sunsets and streets.


























....and hamburgers





This here is a photo of Jenny and Karl. They live in New York and they know where the best hamburgers are.













































This is Milan. I met Karl and Milan in Prague about ten years ago with thier friend Bobby. I was in a cafe with some friends and we thought that they were giving us dirty looks. Later that evening after we were good and drunk we ran into Karl and Milan (was Bobby there?) on the street in another part of Prague and accused them of giving us dirty looks, they in turn said that we were giving them dirty looks. So we all decided to go out and have more beer. Why fight when you can have beer? And there folks is the reason that Czechs are pacifists....you run the risk of having your beer spill if you try to throw punches.




Natsumi is beautiful even while eating a hamburger the size of her head.























We wore the same shoes one day and told people who commented that we were in a dance troupe.


































More beautiful buildings everywhere we looked.


















.....And Breakfast.



























This is the interior of a synagogue. Doesn't it just make you want to convert? I feel that way everytime I visit a historical holy place with such amazing love in the architecture. I once sat through an entire Sunday service in Prague just so I could stare out of a broken window.



















Here is a little piece of New York that is more East Van then East Van. Kitten posters and fake wood pannel walls!? The only thing missing is a neckerchief.
















The best pear Chocolate turnovers EVER sold here.













We ate really well, had lovely coffee and walked like we were trying to get to the ends of the earth. New York I love you, but I think I love you best as a visitor. It's a tough town and when you thank people they don't always know what to do with it. I think it's manage to strengthen my spine and harden me just enough to keep things interesting. I think I need to go back at least two more times to become as tough as I'd like to be.

I miss living in a more fluid and dense city sometimes. I like that no one really cares what you are doing in New York. You can wear a panda bear suit and no one would ask why. I'm still at odds with Vancouver at times, and am too negative about it as a whole although there are parts of it that I love. Anyhow, it was nice to use the sidewalks for walking for four days.

No comments: