Saturday, February 03, 2007

I Met the Mayor Today


Yes it's true. I met Vancouver's Mayor Sam Sullivan today. Dane had a meeting with the local Business Improvement association and the mayor to discuss the neighborhood and the mayor's plans for the city with the 2010 Olympics in mind.

It was really interesting, I've never met a politician as important as a mayor before.
I expected to feel intimidated or nervous, but I found Sam Sullivan really easy to talk to and personable.

Some of his ideas for the city sound really interesting and I am curious to see if he's able to turn them into reality.

In other Vancouver news, didja hear they've got a COSTCO in Yaletown!? Seriously!? I'm not sure who can fit a case of cambells soup in their 560 sq ft condo down there. They've started to advertise the new condos as 'New York Style' and if you've ever been to New York you'd know that means 'walk in Closet Size' which is way smaller than what is known as 'Cozy'.

It's so weird, they (the government/developers) keep saying that Vancouver is running out of land since it's between mountains and sea and that the land is finite that is why it's so expensive to buy an apartment. If this is true then can someone explain to me how on earth it is that there is a costco downtown....anyone know? I'm no city planner, but I'm also no fool, and that is a dumb ass way to waste prime land.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've not been to the downtown Costco yet, but I hear it's pretty cool. They've put all the parking underground, and built offices and housing on top. Not your typical Costco design, and a good use of limited land. It's right next to GM Place, so check it out next time you see a show or a game down there.

miss tango said...

It could be thought of as a little less carbon monoxide in the air. As all the people won´t be making the long drive to the burbs anymore. I hope they built plenty of parking with the building!

veronika said...
This comment has been removed by the author.