Saturday, May 13, 2006

View

I've come to realize that having a blog is a lot of work and the only people that can write really interesting blogs are people who write about very specific interests, people who are traveling, WRITERS (!), and people with jobs that allow them to write about the people that they deal with. I fall into none of those categories, but that don't stop me!

Here is the view I see pretty much everyday. It's the window display at the shop...I guess that's obvious. Later I'll give you all a description of what I see outside of the shop. It's been a topic on my mind for some time...but it needs to be addressed diplomaticaly and with care. For now I'll start with the view I have from my perch behind the sales desk.


If the building across the street weren't there I'd get to see the mountains, the only people in this town that get to demolish buildings, signs or other obstructions are politicians....they run the place with red tape and beaurocracy. Communist Russia could have learned a thing or two, you let them smoke pot and then they are too stoned to revolt (complain yes, revolt no)....vodka only makes people belligerent afterlife.

To be honest I enjoy being able to see over my Empire day in and day out. I sweep these floors, I steam the clothes, I am nice to people. I share this mighty expanding Empire with Dane; he watches over our dominion with great care and sees that it runs smoothly and that our doors stay open. We are having fun, it's fashion and it's silly, but it's less silly then film. In film every little thing becomes life or death and is very serious. In fashion everyone knows that it ain't world peace and that the bottom line is what's life or death.

Working here has changed some of my preconceptions about Vancouver. (Look at me stealing www.trifective.blogspot.com 's number idea)

1) Not ALL people wear track pants everywhere all of the time, in fact a lot of people have really great style.

2)Not everyone smokes pot..I know it surprised me too.

3)People are friendly on a deeper level, not superficially like I first thought.

4)A lot of people do leave their homes and go to events and parties...They aren't all hermits.

There are more but I'm starting to bore myself.

Maybe it's the sunshine that's taken away my melancholy. Whatever it is it's nice to be enjoying Vancouver again.

No comments: